Knee Surgery in New Orleans, La

Knee Surgery in New Orleans, LaKnee surgery is a common method of relieving patients from the painful symptoms of conditions, such as arthritis, and sports-related injuries, including ACL and meniscal tears. In many cases, these conditions can be treated using noninvasive methods, such as physical therapy and RICE (rest, ice, compression, and elevation of the joint); however, surgery is often the only solution to completely alleviate pain and restore joint function.

Anatomy of the Knee

The knee joint is the largest joint in the body, and it is composed of the lower end of the thighbone (femur), the shinbone (tibia), and the kneecap (patella). A number of ligaments in the knee help control motion by connecting bones and bracing the joint against irregular movements. The meniscus, a soft cartilaginous wedge that rests between the femur and tibia, cushions the knee and absorbs shock during motion.

Knee Pain

While the knee is relatively stable compared to other joints, it is one of the most commonly injured joints. If any of the components within the knee are damaged, pain arises and patients may experience limited mobility.

Treatment options for knee pain can be classified as conservative or surgical. Depending on the severity of the condition, the attending orthopedic doctor may opt to treat knee pain using a combination of the two. Conservative treatments for knee pain include cortisone injections, physical therapy, and lifestyle modifications. Surgical procedures should only be considered if conservative treatment methods cannot alleviate the condition. The orthopedic doctor will evaluate the patient and recommend the best solution for the patient’s individual case.

The most commonly performed knee surgery procedures include:

  • ACL Repair
  • Gender Specific Knee Replacement
  • Custom Fit Knee Replacement
  • Partial Knee Replacement

Knee Arthroscopy

Arthroscopy is a common treatment method for sports injuries, such as ACL and meniscal tears. During an arthroscopic procedure, the joint is viewed from within using a small camera, called an arthroscope, which is inserted through a small incision. The arthroscope transmits an image to a monitor that allows the orthopedic surgeon to view the inside of the knee with great detail. This internal view aids in diagnosis and treatment of the knee with great precision and accuracy. Knee arthroscopy is performed to feel, repair or remove damaged tissue. If surgical repair is required, the orthopedic doctor will insert small surgical instruments through a second small incision around the knee.

Knee arthroscopy is a minimally invasive procedure, and can provide numerous benefits over traditional open knee surgery. These benefits include less blood loss, reduced scarring, and a shorter post-operative recovery period. Because of these benefits, arthroscopy is a commonly chosen solution to sports injuries to allow players to get back on the field quickly and safely.

Minimally Invasive ACL Repair

ACL tears are one of the most common sports injuries affecting athletes today. According to the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS), 70% of ACL injuries occur without any contact, with the remaining 30% resulting from direct contact with another object. Common causes of ACL tears include sudden deceleration, cutting, pivoting or sidestepping movements, and unusual landings. During an ACL repair procedure, the orthopedic surgeon will graft tendon to the gap between the two torn sides of the damaged ACL. This procedure is typically performed arthroscopically, affording for minimally invasive benefits that allow the patient to return to previous levels of activity in a much shorter period of time.

Knee Surgery in New Orleans, LA

Dr. Junius at Crescent City Orthopedics has extensive experience with minimally invasive knee surgery. With reduced soft tissue trauma, patients may begin therapy and resume their normal activities as soon as possible after surgery. To make an appointment with Dr. Junius please call our Metairie, LA office at (504) 309-6500 or request an appointment online.